Add this event (from our Events Calendar) to your personal calendar!
Tonight your Urban Neighbors Board attended the kick-off meeting held jointly by the City of Oklahoma City and the Neighborhood Alliance, for neighborhood leaders from throughout the city. From this meeting we have much to share, which we will do in the coming months, but for now here’s what’s critical to know:
- GO (general obligation) Bond funding provides for capital improvement funding for city projects over the next several years (2007 GO Bond programs are still actively under construction!)
- The election is in September 2017
- The citizen awareness campaign goes through the end of February 2017, you will have no opportunity for input beyond that date!
- There are TWO surveys to complete, the general resident survey (can be completed online), and the neighborhood survey (CANNOT be completed online). Make sure you and your neighbors complete BOTH surveys!
- The city, Neighborhood Alliance, and your Urban Neighbors will be holding information sessions over the next few months. There will also be AT LEAST one community workshop per ward, so you will have several opportunities for engagement!
- Everything you need to know is online
See you on Thursday at Hudson’s Public House!
For Neighbors, By Neighbors.
Urban Neighbors is an organization dedicated to fostering quality residential living in downtown Oklahoma City. Our membership-based organization encourages the further development of quality residential living through positive interactive meetings, social events, and issue-oriented dialogue and activities.
Urban Neighbors is a direct conduit to and representative of its residential membership to the City of Oklahoma City, area businesses, and other community support structures. Our organization is committed to making downtown an enjoyable and exciting place to live.
See you next week at Flint!
What a big day the community garden had! From sifting compost (uber cool design by Mary, Chris and Ron) for the most glorious foundation for our little organic plants fresh from Sunrise Acres to sorting out wood chips (and creative little tables for our upcoming conversation pit) for a divine pathway through our pocket prairie pollinator garden we rolled our sleeves up and we got the job done. What a heavenly community of gardeners, some familiar with gardening and some just willing to learn, together we make a pretty awesome space. Join us any Saturday, we love new neighbors joining us. We worked all morning and then a couple of us headed south to the coolest organic farmers we know and bought flats of plants. Before the rains came we were able to make solid headway to a bountiful harvest we know is coming! Here is what our mouths are watering for…more herbs-we added Cuban oregano, sweet marjoram, basil (of these cool varieties-genovie, holy, cinnamon, lime) parsley, dill bouquet and more fennel all nestled up to our amazing rosemary 3 season big, spicy and regular oregano, bronze fennel and lovely blooming chives. Okra (oh how successful it was last season, mmmmm), tomatoes planted deep in these varieties-bumblebee minis(remember those little striped jewels fresh off the vine?), a new sturdy big red meant to bush with out stakes (anticipating a big tomato win for our tastebuds with this one) and of course some hopeful cherry tomatoes for Jill’s caprese to die for. Eggplant, cucumbers and the DTF special, lemon cucumbers! Eightball squash, yellow squash and green zucchini are all mounded up for yielding a grilled favorite. We added watermelon (sugar baby) and ambrosia cantaloupe to keep our strawberries and pumpkins company! Tucked into this oasis you can also find our Yukon gold and purple Cherokee potato plants growing lush. Jenn and Ben may fly home for this harvest! Onions and beets are ready for a blow your mind tasty roasting while the arugula spices up your salad. Green beans and peppers will be planted this week. Thank each and every one of you as we grow on!